A few months back I wrote about the challenges facing agile adoption in the enterprise. I got a lot of requests to outline some tips to overcome some of these challenges, which I have addressed in a follow-up post on AgileScout. The key points are:
- Get management buy-in.
- Plan for entire releases, not just one sprint.
- Plan sprints with specialized/shared resources in mind.
- Complex inter-dependencies are a reality – deal with it!
- Keep reasonable sprint lengths – at 3 or 4 weeks.
- Don’t expect all sprint deliverables to be production ready.
- Define “done” consistently across the teams.
- Reserve at least two “hardening” sprints.
- Be pragmatic about usable design documentation.
- Adopt continuous integration principles.
Read the entire article here.
UPDATE: To clarify, the tips above specifically address the challenges put forth in the earlier post around enterprise application integration projects. For other enterprise projects, vanilla Scrum approach may work fine.